CEV Capacity Building Conference: Volunteering in Culture – Rijeka 19-20 april 2018
In the European Year of Cultural Heritage, this capacity building conference will seek to identify what are
the specificities of volunteering in culture where the beneficiaries of the activities are not as visible as in
other kinds of volunteering.
The motivation of volunteers in culture, that is often related to their passions and interest in art or history, will be
discussed and how this aspect needs to be addressed when managing volunteers engaged in the cultural field will be examined.
Participants will learn how the well- being of volunteers in culture can be protected and how the question of their
skills development can be best approached.
Date: 19 April
14:00 Welcome Addresses & Introductions
15:00 – 16:30 Keynote plenary interventions with case studies on:
1) Institutions: How to develop the potential and space for the improved engagement of volunteers in state / municipality institutions seeing them as an additional resource rather than a cost cutting exercise?
2) NGOs: How to harness the passion and interest of citizens in different arts through volunteering in a way that will benefit the wider community and retain the voluntary, citizen led nature of NGOs?
3) Events: How to protect the rights of volunteers in stand alone events such as festivals and concerts, which may have a for-profit characteristic?
16:30 – 17:00 BREAK
17:00 – 18:30 Parallel workshops
1) Large Scale cultural events: How to involve volunteers successfully & how to resource this?
2) Volontourism in the culture sector: Added value or valueless exploitation?
3) Validation and Recognition of skills and competencies: What is the relevance & value for the Culture Sector?
Date: 20 April
09:00 – 09:30 Opening Session
09:30- 11:00 Parallel workshops
1) Volunteer management Part time Part I (longer term part time volunteers eg in a library or museum who dedicate some hours per week or month)
2) Volunteer management Full time Part I (eg EVS model or for a two week event or festival)
3) For-profit/ NGO partnerships in Culture
11:00 – 11:30 BREAK
11:30 – 13:00 Parallel workshops
1) Volunteer management Part time Part II (longer term part time volunteers eg in a library or museum who dedicate some hours per week or month.
2) Volunteer management Full time Part II (eg EVS model or for a two week event or festival)
3) Capitals of Culture – get to know more.
12:30 CLOSING and LUNCH
Optional afternoon programme -cultural / touristic visits etc.